Re: Tunnels

Colin Weaver <colingw@my-deja.com> wrote in message
7ob2i3$i5j$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:7ob2i3$i5j$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
> Beenleigh / South Coast Line and branches
>   1 tunnel at Highgate hill (plus a parallel standard guage
>     tunnel)

Just for the record, this is properly known as the Gloucester Street
tunnels.

> Inner City Lines
>   3 parallel tunnels - Roma St - Central

Known as Tunnels 4, 5 & 6.

>   3 parallel tunnels - Central - Brunswick St.

Known as Tunnels 1, 2 & 3.

I guess now would be as good a time as any to ask the question "What is the
definition of a tunnel?". Most stated in this thread clearly qualify as
tunnels but some are questionable.

In Sydney, is the City Circle and ESR reffered to as tunnels or an
underground railway? Some beg to differ. What about the newer "tunnel" south
of Bowen Hills in Brisbane or the one north of Beenleigh? Most of what is
atop these tunnel is roadways but it is about 5 metres between the roof of
the tunnel and street level.

Would an extremely wide road over rail bridge (equivalent to 10 lanes)
qualify as a tunnel? If so, you could say there is a tunnel just to the west
of Buranda where the Southeast Freeway crosses the Cleveland line. What
about Westmead, where the Up Main dives under the Up and Down Suburbans?

--
Matt Smith
Brisbane, QLD

I never seem to finish anyth