Re: Tunnels

In article <933812762.683786@diddley.primus.com.au>,
  "Steven Hurst" <hurste@primus.com.au> wrote:
> I was just wondering about all the tunnels in Australia and in
Victoria
> specifically, Is there a list/photos on-line?
>
> How many are there in NSW, QLD, etc. (any in SA?)

Queensland Tunnels - working from memory, but I think I've got
all of them.

Main Line (Ipswich - Toowoomba)
  2 tunnels on Little Liverpool Range
    (#1 is oldest in QLD, #2 (Victoria Tunnel) was the longest
     single bore tunnel in Australia until Sandy Hollow - Ulan
     in NSW opened)
  9 tunnels on Toowoomba Range

Southern Line (Toowoomba - Wallangarra)
  2 tunnels on Silverwood range section (Warwick - Stanthorpe)

Oakey - Cooyar Branch (closed 1964)
  1 tunnel (Muntapa tunnel), now a walking trail

Brisbane Valley Branch (Wulkuraka - Yarraman, closed, early 1990s)
  1 tunnel on section between Toogoolawah and Linville, soon to
    be part of a heritage "rail trail".

Beenleigh / South Coast Line and branches
  1 tunnel at upper Roma St (new - circa 1978)
  1 tunnel at Highgate hill (plus a parallel standard guage
    tunnel)
  1 cut & cover "tunnel" at Beenleigh (new, circa 1992)
  1 tunnel at Ernest Junction (closed Southport branch)
  1 tunnel at West Burleigh (closed Tweed Heads branch, tunnel
    no longer exists)

Standard Guage (interstate line)
  1 tunnel at Highgate Hill (now dual guage)
  3 tunnels in McPherson ranges (2 tunnels entirely
    in QLD, plus the Border Tunnel which spans the
    QLD-NSW border with a portal in each state).

Inner City Lines
  3 parallel tunnels - Roma St - Central
  3 parallel tunnels - Central - Brunswick St.
  1 tunnel at College Road on exhibition loop (tunnel no longer
    exists, replaced with a road over-bridge many years ago)
  1 tunnel between Brunsick St and Bowen Hills (previous geniune
    tunnel replaced with cut and cover in 1978)

Ferny Grove - Dayboro Branch
  1 tunnel at Samford on closed section (1955) beyond Ferny Grove.
    (ARHS QLD book "Brunswick St, Bowen Hills & Beyond" claims
     there were two tunnels on this line, this is contradicted
     by other sources).  Samford tunnel is the only tunnel that
     I'm aware of on this closed line.

North Coast Line
  2 tunnels in Landsborough - Palmwoods section, plus
  1 disused tunnel in Mooloolah National Park.

Mary Valley Branch (Gympie - Brooloo, preserved line)
  1 tunnel near Imbil - used by Mary Valley Heritage Railway

Mt Perry Branch (North Bundaberg - Mt Perry, closed line)
  1 tunnel at Boolboonda - unlined tunnel.

Dawson Valley Branch (closed, replaced by Moura Short Line)
  1 tunnel at Mt Morgan, now used by the Dee River Railway,
    currently operated by ARHS QLD.

Monto Loop (Gladstone - Monto - Mungar loop line)
  6 tunnels on Dawes Range, including 3 tunnels in a row
  on a straight section of track (you can take a photograph
  straight through them!)

Central Line (Rockhampton - Emerald - Longreach - Winton)
  1 tunnel at "Tunnel", no longer exists.  Tunnel was replaced
    by a dual track cutting when line to Emerald was electrified.

Greenvale Line (closed, mid 1990s)
  2 or 3 tunnels (I'm not sure - can someone please clarify)

Cairns Railway
  15 tunnels on Kuranda Range
  1 tunnel on Mareeba - Herberton - Ravenshoe Branch (closed
    beyond Atherton, preserved line operated by RAILCO)

Non QR Lines
  1 tunnel on Lahey's Tramway (3'6" timber line, long
    closed, beyond Canungra QR terminus)
  1 tunnel on 2' guage at Ballara, near Mt Isa (long
    closed mining line in region between Cloncurry & Mt Isa)
  1 tunnel through Brinsmead Gap, Cairns, on 2' cane tramway.
    This is a new tunnel, built a couple of years ago to
    get the cane tramway out of the way of a road duplication.
--
This account is a spam filter.  Please send e-mail replies to:
colingw<AT>foxboro.com.au

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/