Re: Orange/yellow paint

Hubert Lam wrote:

Hmm..what about the destination indicators? was every leading car supposed
to get one? seems like many V set leading cars missed out on them.

I've seen some Tangaras have the destination indicators turned on, but were
they supposed to have the indicators installed? the earlier ones were orange
lights and it usually said "Via Wynyard" at the second line. D6144 had an
indicator displaying green text.

Ok this is what I know to be the truth but it is subject to correction.

They started to install "destos" in the V set but they relised that they could save a lot of money by not putting them in. (and besides they make them look even uglier than the new paint scheme by itself..) They worked on the theory that Central and Strathfield are alway manned and have correct indicators. After that they branch off and everyone is happy, unlike the suburban services that have heaps more destinations and services. Apparantly people that catch V sets are more smarter than surburban train catrchers and have or know their timetables.

All suburban power cars were supposed to get "destos" but some have slipped through with out one. Some have the "destos" up front but no key pad to operate them. Whilst some don't work at all. Apparantly there is some ban on the use of them, I havn't actually seen any paper work it. Anyone know for sure?

Tangaras: The earlier ones did have them but from what I can see they wern't actually lights. They were orrange balls that were uncovered to form the letter / number. ( I climbed up into the roof to test this one out.)
The latter ones (including G's) did not have any fitted. However a number of cars, of which 6144 was one, had different ones on trial. Does anyone know the outcome of the trial?

Hope this helps.

rgds