Re: Booked out Melb XPTs

In <JyXp3.5$Nc5.1422@news0.optus.net.au> "WhaleOilBeefHooked" <daproc@spambait.umpires.com> writes:

>Thenormal composition for an XPT is now 4 cars for Dubbo and 6 cars for
>elsewhere. The Dubbo XPT has been known to run with 4 cars and one XP power
>car, and keep to time. I have been informed that the limitation on inserting
>extra cars beyond 7 is (apart from the lack of cars) the capacity of the
>buffets. They simply would not be able to stock enough food and drink for an
>extra 68 people. The train would lose time on some stretchs, but would catch
>up on others sue to recovery time.

That's what Railway Refreshment Rooms were supposed to be for! Now on-train
passengers get awful food, and not enough of it, instead of having a timed
stop at a suitable RRR where a full range of hot and cold foods is
available at a decent (ie. not what CountryLink charge for their buffet)
price.

I wonder how many RRR's still operate? I know Wollongong does, but what
about others?

Regards,

Craig.
--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport