Re: Booked out Melb XPTs

In <933590240.778422@diddley.primus.com.au> "Michael Walker" <walker@hotkey.net.au> writes:

>Given the XPTs are loosely based on the British HSTs which are also a fixed
>consist (or do they vary them?), how do the British cope with fluctuations
>in passengers? Do they intersperse the fixed consist services with variable
>consist services (ie loco and carriages) or is the volume of services such
>that any slack can take up fluctuations in passenger numbers?

Countrylink do alter the number of cars on the trains. I saw a 4-car set (6
if you count the usual 2 power cards) leaving Sydney yard yesterday morning.

They just don't normally go over 7 passenger cars per train because of the
limits of the power cars.

Regards,

Craig.
--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport