Re: 3830 + 4401 to Yulefest at Katoomba

Ron BESDANSKY (formerly Ron BEST) wrote in message ...

>Don Allitt <nahgfa@zeta.org.au> wrote in message
>37A422A0.B3684317@zeta.org.au">news:37A422A0.B3684317@zeta.org.au...
>> O.K.That is clear, but why did they not want the carriages to turn as on
>> previous trips.Don
>>
>I wasn't on this trip, but I was on one many years ago where the train WAS
>turned (on the triangle at Pelton Colliery, 1980-12-07). This does mean
that
>a passenger in a given seat sees, on the return journey, the scenery on the
>opposite side of the line to what they saw on the forward journey. But it
>also means that passengers who were seated "back to the engine" on the
>outward trip, and who were looking forward (as I was) to being "facing" on
>the return, are disappointed. So, I would vote AGAINST turning the train,
as
>a general rule.
>
>Rgds
>
>Ron BESDANSKY (formerly Ron BEST)

Up until recently, it had been 3801 Limited policy to NOT turn the carriages
when trains operated on the Moss Vale to Unanderra line or v.v. The train
using the triangle connection at Moss Vale. Thus those persons booked into
seats facing backwards remained in that position throughout the journey. The
main advantage was the time saved by not having to turn the locomotive(s) at
Moss Vale.

When 3801 Limited was forced to vacate the ACDEP running shed because of the
new electric train servicing facilities about to be built therein and return
the carriages to the Large Erecting Shed a much more stringent policy
regarding train compositions needed to be enforced to enable the much
reduced shunting movements now possible at Eveleigh to be adhered to.
Accordingly blocks of cars are positioned within the shed and these need to
remain in the same orientation. This can only work effectively if NO train
returns to Eveleigh in an order other than the one it left in on the
outbound journey.

The end result of all this is that only the locomotives turn at Clarence
Loop; Moss Vale; Maitland or wherever and the cars return to Sydney in the
constant orientation. The passengers enjoy the return journey facing the
opposite direction, but in the case of Robertson round-trips and to a lesser
extent trains terminating at Clarence Loop, time is spent turning the
locomotives when it would be possible to run the train constantly in the one
direction.

Geoff Lillico
3801 Limited

trains@f6.com.au