Re: Another RSA worker killed

Wallabz wrote:

Hiyas,

Aren't we forgetting that nobody has mentioned the exact circumstances
of this fatality?

This thread hasn't really moved away from the initial 'blame' on the
worker who was killed, then on to a number of assumptions about
irresponsible track workers.

It is within the rules for a person to be walking about on the tracks
without a lookout, even bending, inspecting and using "small test
intruments".

So if this person was a track walker, he was probably not disobeying any
safety rules.  The rule he may have disobeyed is the one which says that
you are not permitted to obstruct a train.

Nobody here seems to know whether the guy tripped and fell or whether he
simply walked into the path of a moving train.

How many of you have ever stepped out onto the road as a pedestrian
without having checked to see if it was safe first?

I've walked on train tracks in a lot of places in the Sydney Metro, most
of them I would say are quite dangerous, and there are more than a few
places where it is extremely dangerous to walk without a lookout or
more.

I've had a couple of very near misses, because you get caught up in
fixing whatever it is you're out there to do.  And I would say that
other workers would have usually considered me especially careful and
paranoid.  So I guess people who might be less careful than me may be
*more* likely to have near misses.

I might sound cold but you work to the rules and conditions and you shouldn't get hurt. (unless you get a circumstance which has not been accounted for.)

From what I've heard at my place of employment the "rail worker" stepped out of the path of one train and into the path of another. (It should be noted that this is a product of the SRA rumor mill and not necessarily fact.)

This bloke should of  known where every train is in the area he was working. This can be done by looking around, using a working timetable, radio contact with the box, local knoledge. In areas where trains can't be seen the use of dets, flagmen, look outs should be used.

With respect to walking out on to the road, even pedestrians get killed and have near misses.

rgds