Re: Another RSA worker killed

Railway Rasputin wrote:

> <My (Bill's) original response snipped>
>
> No not dismissive just pissed off. I almost killed a bloke at
> Sydenham the day before this incident. I don't know if its the
> same bloke but this guy is bent over the rail working, no
> lookout or protection.
> I blow the horn and he still sits there like a shag on a rock.
> The inspector with me had words to say.
>
> On the East Hills line, those contractor clowns doing a weld, we
> come around a bend at 80kph we stopped in time but only just.
> Once again no protection.
>
> The solution is the same to a lot of other problems on the
> network. We need more staff.
> People think that the magic orange vest will make them
> invincible, guess what? It won't.

OK, I understand where you are coming from now. We obviously agree
this is a stupid and dangerous situation.

The point about hi-visibility vests is a good one. In my opinion
they have never been of much use down the track, for exactly the
reason you say: the train cannot swerve, or brake suddenly. OK, so
you see the guy you are about to kill or maim a few seconds
earlier - but his vest does not help him see you, does it?

I used to be opposed to Police prosecutions for safety violations,
but as I get older and more cynical, I wonder if the threat of
fines and jail is the only way to sharpen attention to need to
have safe workplaces.

And to any track worker who is reading this: Hopping on and off
the track without protection is a bloody stupid practice!

Question: is any union interested in safety at present, or have
the empllyers got the upper hand?

Bill