Re: Cityrail fare rises suck

7o2se2$105$1@lios.apana.org.au">news:7o2se2$105$1@lios.apana.org.au...
Woodlands) writes:

> And how much in a *real* sense does the equivalent car trip cost you?
Much,
> much more when you take road taxes, fuel taxes, wear and tear on the car,
> mainenance and repair costs, licence and rego costs, etc.... Trains are
> still *much* cheaper, but most people never consider the *total* cost of a
> car journey - they only look at the fuel usage and forget to factor in the
> other things.

It's a good point, but you'll still have road tax, licence, rego,
depreciation and insurance costs, even if the car is sitting in the garage.
And that's the point...most people are emotionally and financially committed
to their cars.

I'd like to see less cars on the road and more bums on train seats, but it
ain't going to happen until the rail network expands...services improve etc.
etc.

Oh and another point, when I travel to Thornleigh, nine times out of ten, if
I travel in the rush hour I have to stand in a sweaty crowd until Eastwood
or Epping. I'd happily pay more for a ticket if I didn't have to suffer that
fate. Forking out big dollars for a properly air-conditioned car journey
suddenly doesn't look so awful.