Re: GNRS and other matters.

>Anyone know what loops are being lenghthened and in what order.?
>Over the border there is work on extending the down end of gerogery Loop
>but no evidence at all of loop lengthening at Albury,which is odd as it
>would
>be the easiest loop to lenghthen .

>Chiltern, Glenrowan, Violet Town, Longwood, Wallan, Albury, Gerogery,
>Yerong Creek, Uranquinty, Wagga.
>
>AFAIK Gerogery has opened. It holds 1652 m in clear.
>
>Albury is currenrly used to cross 1300m trains so I guess that it will
>be lengthened after Gerogery and/or Chiltern are finished.
>
>Cheers
>
>Krel
>

>VGR website http://www.castlemaine.net.au/~vgr/
>
>Waxy Wary Zany Zebu

Yes I stuffed up, I'm working down (geographically) on the Warrnambool line
and related to directions to the Northeast line.  The correct ends are as
follows (at the time of tender)

"Just to chuck in my comments, a number of trains will be running rail rakes
up the northeast corridor for the ARTC loops contract which we (John
Holland) lost to RSA."

This contract will see the following loops extended:

Chiltern (Down end), Glenrowan (up end or down depending on cost) , Violet
Town (Down end), Wallan (Down end), Somerton (Down end), and Horsham(Down
end). In most cases the cripple roads will be removed.

There will also be signaling works at a couple of locations in Melbourne and
a new loop on the Newport to Northshore line (SG) and its not at North
altona where SCT and CRT have and will have sidings.  The location is Altona
but not in that location.  The ARTC made SCT move there new siding out so
that in the future a new siding/ loop / shunt lead can be built and trains
will not have to stop on the main line.  SCT have to purchse a Mainline
turnout for the existing mainline and this will cost them exrtra compared to
a siding quality, there earthworks are now twice as wide and ARTC have a new
area for a siding at basically no cost.  Who knows, RSA might decide to put
the loop there and save some money (this loop was design and construct with
only the approx. location given)

The rail for the loops is released from the Maroona to Gheringhap line and
by the end of the project will be the most travel rail in the state, its was
the old mainline between Ararat and the SA Border them the new SG Mainline
between Maroona and Vite Vite and now to the North east.  If you get a
chance to look at it you will see how many welds are in it............  its
getting down to a string of 3m closures...........

Sorry if you all had kittens thinking that the loops where going through the
main roads.....

Cheers

Stephen Devenish
Down under looking in an up direction to South Geelong