Re: Level Crossing (Vic)

Gareth Lumsden <s9763278@minyos.its.rmit.edu.au> wrote in message
Pine.SOL.3.96.990801153144.518A-100000@minyos.its.rmit.edu.au">news:Pine.SOL.3.96.990801153144.518A-100000@minyos.its.rmit.edu.au...

> All,
>
> Whilst on the RTA's L class / Hitachi tour yesterday, we were heading out
> to Belgrave when we were stopped at Rooks Rd level Crossing, Mitcham.
> (Singal is about 20 metres from crossing)  There was a spark in the siding
> at Mitcham, which was to form a Ringwood to Belgrave shuttle before us.
>
> After the spark departed the tour train was able to proceed, but the level
> crossing booms were not down.  Having the stick but no booms, the train
> crawled at no more than 3 kmh, when the booms finally decided to operate.
> The train reached the roadway just the booms finished lowering.
>
> What's going on here?
> Is this the same problem/situation as at Dandenong a while back (discussed
> thoroughly on Aus.Rail)?

This is a terd of a level crossing.  God knows how many times I've been on
the Knox City bus on Rooks Rd. when a train goes through and the level
crossing booms don't go up.  The bus is usually sitting there for a really
long time until the traffic gives up and weaves through the booms.  Of
course, a bus can't do this, so we have to sit there and wait for a railway
employee to piss-fart around in the box at the crossing or wait for a break
in traffic to turn around and take the trip via Maroondah Hwy., Springvale
Rd. and Station St. Nunawading before we get back onto Rooks Rd.