Re: Level Crossing (Vic)

David Langley wrote:

> Gareth Lumsden wrote:
>
> > All,
> >
> > Whilst on the RTA's L class / Hitachi tour yesterday, we were heading out
> > to Belgrave when we were stopped at Rooks Rd level Crossing, Mitcham.
> > (Singal is about 20 metres from crossing)  There was a spark in the siding
> > at Mitcham, which was to form a Ringwood to Belgrave shuttle before us.
> >
> > After the spark departed the tour train was able to proceed, but the level
> > crossing booms were not down.  Having the stick but no booms, the train
> > crawled at no more than 3 kmh, when the booms finally decided to operate.
> > The train reached the roadway just the booms finished lowering.
>
> Let me get this straight. You are saying that the signal was displaying a
> Proceed aspect (which one does not matter) and the booms were still raised.
> Are you sure that the cycle had not commenced i.e. the flashing lights
> commenced operating.
>
> If you are indicating that nothing had happened but the signal was at proceed
> then I hope someone reported it to the maintenance centre because you have a
> real problem. There is a possibility that traffic light cycles are tied up but
> I would still not expect to get a proceed aspect until the booms had commenced
> to operate.

Sounds far too scary to me....
althought I saw a train approach the level crossing at Station Street Fairfield
once at full speed, and the booms did not lower... It was a track circuit fault..
didn't detect the train until half way between Grange Road and Station St. That
caused the fitters to move their backsides. Booms were only half way down when the
train crossed the crossing.

Tony.