Re: Second rate Melbourne stations

Notagunzel wrote:

> Daniel Bowen <dfbowen@my-dejanews.com> wrote in message
> 372857FC.CB716623@my-dejanews.com">news:372857FC.CB716623@my-dejanews.com...
>
> > Michael Kurkowski wrote:
>
> > > It would be interesting to note any other stations within the metro area
> (or
>
> Indeed it was, just South of the Yarra acording to a reference in front of
> me now.  Witness the Cremorne Bridge, over the Yarra, and the Cremorne
> Substation nearby, still taking the name.

I've posted a contradictory note elsewhere but maybe there was something there
for a short time. I'm wondering whether it was there only whilst the bridge was
being built?

> A couple of other long deceased stations in Melbourne include Botanic
> Gardens (between Princess Bridge and Richmond)

Dates please. No forget that I have just found Michael Guiney's map and they are
mentioned. I think I must be using an older version of our station gazeteer
which had a couple of omissions. That will explain the other posting about there
being no Cremorne.

> ; and Pic-nic (between the
> current East Richmond and current Burnley, both then non-existent.)

You mean, surely, between current Burnley (opened June 1879 as Burnley Street)
and Hawthorn (1st station opened 13 April 1861 as terminus of short extension.
The line to Pic Nic was opened 24 Sep 1860 with one intermediate station - East
Richmond but it was known as Church Street then and changed its name on 1 Jan
1867.

> As you can probably guess, all these were back in the days of the private
> operators & steam hauled suburbans.

Is that what we call the good old days?

David Langley.