Re: Melbourne - improved train/tram services

7g8m2g$hjd$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com">news:7g8m2g$hjd$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com...

With trembeling fingers, I followed the link...@ I too formed comments:

> My comments:
>
> * It says Dandenong to Pakenham/Cranbourne trains are the only ones not to
> get 20 minute service between 11am and 7pm Sundays. Does this mean
> Belgrave/Lilydale will get 20 minute service???

Rule No.1 when issuing Government Press releases, always, but always give
'em GOOD NEWS.  NEVER tell them the BAD NEWS, i.e. that Belgrave/Lilydale go
from 30 to 40 minute service during the day on Sunday!

> * This is not quite what the government promised us before the last
election.
> What they said was that we'd get one timetable operating all weekend. This
is
> just an improvement to trams and trains between 11 and 6:30/7. And NO
change
> to bus services.

Astute observation... but your not really expecting that the Government to
pump dollars into fixed rail just before privatisation?, indeed the cynical
side is slightly surprised the 'improvements' wern't delayed until just
after the sale.

> * Note also the other press releases, concerning low floor trams from
2002,
> and separate bus investment.

Key points if the Road Motor funding are:

· $20.3 million will be spent upgrading metropolitan and rural modal
interchanges to improve shelter,
seating, lighting and passenger amenities.

I hope some will be at Railway stations so that cross-mode intergration
encouraged, waiting for buzzes in the wind and rain ain't particularly
exciting...

· $14.5 million for school bus safety. $10 million of this is to go to rural
school bus safety.
    · education campaigns;
    · flashing lights installed on all school buses;
    · emergency two way communication equipment installed; and
    · first aid training/kits for all school bus drivers.

This looks like wise investment, 'cause at the end of the day, sqashed
School Bus pax ain't particularly appealing.

· $7 million for a pilot program called 'Smart Bus'. This program will test
25 selected cross-town bus
routes. It will call upon best practices in service planning, route design,
traffic engineering and information
technologies.

"This program will encourage more people to use buses in Melbourne,
especially when travelling from one
side of the city to another," Mr Cooper said. "Better planning and
integration of services will mean
reduced travel times and reduced waiting time at stops. This is evidence
that the goverment has a
commitment to improving the efficiency and effectiveness of Melbourne's
buses."

Hmm.... sounds like a wizzo system, which I may ask "How do I get from A to
B", and it spits out "Travel on Bus A and change to Bus B ....... and Change
to Bus D"  Betchya it ignores Trams and Trains though, we wouldn't want to
encourage cross mode transfers now would we?

· $19.4 million to improve existing metropolitan and country bus services,
or introduce new services in
new and growing residential areas.

"With the continued growth of Melbourne's suburbs, it is important that new
areas have access to
transport services that meet their needs," Mr Cooper said. "These
metropolitan areas will receive new
weekday evening services and new weekend services. Similarly, country bus
services will be improved
with new and expanded service levels."

The Timetable Crunching Gunzels will no doubt be able to provide a clearer
analasis when the TT's hit the street...

· $14.4 million for air conditioning in new buses.

"All new school buses, new metropolitan buses and new country buses will
have air conditioning," Mr
Cooper said. "They will provide a much better level of comfort for
passengers during the summer months.
This will also encourage new patronage of public transport."

Gee, in 1999 the government has to pay for this?  When was the last
Train/Tram in Aust. delivered sans A/C?

[copious superflous miniserial spin deleted]

Next time a Buz gunzel bangs on about buzzes being better then trams/trains,
which mode in Melbourne is the least efficient according to the
Commonweatlth Grants Commission?  Not the buzzes, surely?

Also worth noting, the buzzes got $19.4M for improved weekend services, how
much did Yarra/Swanston/Hillside/Bayside get for the improved weekend
services?

--
Mr B. (stepping off the soapbox...)
Certified Gunzel.