Re: Signalling in Victoria

Tony Gatt wrote:

> Christopher_Martin GORDON wrote:
>
> > I while ago in the newsgroup there was a trivia question
> > about double slip points.
> >
> > There are a couple of sets operated by roding etc at Spencer Street
> > and there is one a Flemington Racecourse operated by Roding etc,
> > has lock bars etc.. so 8 levers to operate is (4 points, 4 lock bars)
>
> NO. I have not ever seen the 4 points operated as 4 individual points
> (doesn't mean it hasn't happened, and would only happen in Victoria if it
> did <g>
>
> if you were looking at the middle of the double slip, the left hand 2
> points work in conjunction with each other (classed as 1 point) and the
> right hand points work with each other.

Not always. There are/were plenty of instances where there were in fact three
point levers involved e.g. Avenel had a couple. It is hard to describe but it
works along the lines of an interlaced pair of crossovers with their own point
lever and the connecting bridge track with its own point lever. The double
compound at Flemington Racecourse is also an example unless they have rearranged
the point levers but seeing as how it is rocker locking, I very much doubt it. No
depending just where they were located you might two or three lock bars but it
depends on the way the interlocking was arranged.

David Langley.