Re: Signalling in Victoria

: > The loop line points at the Showgrounds are clipped and the line
: > baulked.  There is a lever in Flemington Box (61) that provides
: > control of the loop line to Showgrounds.

: Now I wonder when that went in. I can't find any reference to it at the
: moment. It wasn't put in on 28Feb1998 when the additional signals for
: suburban train stabling were provided. These alterations altered diagram 29
: of 1997 which is still the current diagram unless one has been issued this
: year. I have yet to see any WN's for this year.

: >
: > So the signalman at Showgrounds could take off the baulks (just chained)
: > and un clip the points, then the signalman at Flemington reverse lever 61
: > to give control of the loop line to Showgrounds and then a train
: > could be sent down there.

: The points are supposed to be spiked not just padlocked.

Normally a train would shunt to a line in the correct direction,
 then using a disc or dwarf signal run wrong line back.  But
shunting from No4 Road at Flemington to the loop line is
shunting wrond line first, so a train could be coming the other
direction.  Hence lever 61 at Flemington.  This is to stop a
train coming down the loop line with out the signalman at
Flemington letting it.  So when 61 is reversed you can't shunt
to the loop line (otherwise you would have a head on)

The reason for the baulks is to move the "limit of shunt" board
up towards showgrounds to stable another train.

The signalling diagram show the "limit of shunt" board next to
UR247 (as this is the normal position) but in practice it is
next to the baulk to stable an extra train.

The following would be done to return the line to normal
operation:
Move "Limit of Shunt" board back to UR247, remove baulk,
unclip points.

Then if the signalman at Showground wants to send a train down
the loop line he must get Flemington Box to reverse 61.
(to have control)

Lever 61:
Normal, Flemington can let trains into loop line
Reverse, Showgrounds can let trains into the loop line

Can you explain fouling bars please.

--
Chris Gordon
http://www.ecr.mu.oz.au/~cmgord