Re: Second rate Melbourne stations

Christopher_Martin GORDON wrote:

> : > There used to be a few train that terminated there, it even has some points
> : > not sure where they are controled from, but not used in a long time
>
> : The points are controlled from General Motors.
>
> And the last time they were used?
>
> : > One wonders how much longer General Motors will stay, after all there
> : > are no other special stations left. (Whitecity, Mobiltown all gone)
>
> : Excuse my ignorance/youth, but I was only born in 1980. What was Whitecity for?
> : When did Whitecity/Mobiltown close?
>
> I think White City, Mobiltown, Paisley and Galvin all closed
> around the same time (early 1980's)
>
> I though Whte City was for some sort of tyre or cable place, but
> not sure (since I was only born in 1979)
>
> White City was only about 700 m past Tottenham

As my son describes me as an old bugger I will add my two bobs worth. (They were
before your time also).

A 15 lever interlocking frame was provided on 18 Nov 1956 in the downside building.
This was in conjunction with duplication between Dandenong and Narre Warren. The last
use of General Motors signal box will most likely be when those four wheel briquette
wagons were last shunted into Heinz Siding. General Motors (like others mentioned
opened to serve nearby industry) in this case it was General Motors Holdens (GMH),
was also opened on this date as a passenger station. There had previously been a
staff locked siding serving nearby factories opened on 26 September 1952 and known as
International Harvester Siding. General Motors was for most of its life not
accessible to the general public, you could go there by train but there was no public
access to nearby roads. A Signalling Record Society visit had to obtain permission
from GMH to go through their plant and we were accompanied by a security guard.

White City (9.8km) was opened on 11 Nov 1927 as Coursing Platform and was renamed
White City on 25 Aug 1929. The crossover and signalling for terminating trains
(worked from Tottenham 9.1km) was provided at the same time and was still mechanical
signals, 3 pos sigs coming on 25 Aug 1929. I'm not sure about the coincidence of the
renaming with the provision of 3 pos signals. Any theories?

Mobiltown was as its name suggests originally to serve the Mobil refinery but it was
also quite accessible to the public. Opened on 9 Oct 1953 as Standard Oil Platform
being renamed on 1 Jun 1954. It is thought to have closed on 29 Jan 1985 but would be
grateful if anyone can confirm this.

Paisley and Galvin were actually more in the league of public platforms although both
were near to refineries. Paisley was opened on 14 Oct 1929 and Galvin on 22 Aug 1927.
Both closed on 14 April 1985 when the electrified line from Westona to Laverton was
opened.

Another station that at first was for a local industry was Upfield which opened on 17
Aug 1959 to serve the Ford Motor factory. It was nearly on the site of North
Campbellfield which closed on 5 May 1956 along with the railmotor service between
Fawkner and Somerton. At first there was only a sparse service I think just a couple
of trains a day but gradually the service improved to what it is today.

David Langley.