Re: Queensland Rail Loco-Hauled Services

In article <372277b5.0@news.bris.corplink.com.au>,
  "MattyQ" <matticue@corplink.com.au> wrote:

> Damian Clement wrote in message <7fser1$hlu$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>...
> >Can anyone provide some info on loco-hauled services in Queensland?
> >
> >I would like to know which of these trains are loco-hauled and which are
> >multiple units, and of the loco-hauled services, what class of traction is
> >rostered and to/from which stations.
>
> Spirit of Outback  -
> 3900 to Emerald, thence diesel (usually 2400/1720 combo) beyond Emerald.
>
> Westlander  -
> 2100 or 2400 diesel.
>
> Inlander  -
> Not sure exactly but likely to be 2800. Mr. Georgee may wish to clarify.
>
> Kuranda scenic tour train  -
> Usually 1720 class diesel but has been known to use steam from time to time.
>
> Great South Pacific Express
> NR class Sydney - Brisbane
> 3900 class Brisbane - Rockhampton
> 2800 class Rocky - Cairns
> 2 x 1720 class Cairns - Kuranda (unless the track has been strengthened).

The Spirit of the Outback usually has an electric 3900 to Emerald and then a
2470+1720 multi west to Longreach. Occasionally a 2450+1720 multi is used, but
2470s are far more common. If the Brisbane-Rockhampton corridor is short on
electric locos, a single Clyde-GM is sometimes used to haul the Spirit between
Rockhampton and Emerald. Locos are always changed at Emerald.

The Westlander sees a variety of power west to Charleville, including single
1550, 2100, 2170, 2300, 2400 and 2450 class Clyde-GM locos.

The Inlander is powered almost exclusively by a single 2800 class loco between
Townsville and Mt.Isa. The most recent exception was 3231 through Charters
Towers on 2 January 1999 with 2801+2417D (in multi) with just eight a/c
carriages.

The Kuranda Tourist Trains always get a single 1720 class diesel. QR Steam
locomotives (A10 No.6 or PB15 No.732) are not used on Kuranda Tourist Trains.

The GSPE (at least north of Rockhampton) sees a variety of power, not just
2800s, with northbound 3M81 using 2499D and 2116D into Townsville on 18
January 1999 and 10 March 1999 respectively. According to Cairns traincrew
the GSPE is currently worked with a single 1720 from Cairns to Mareeba and
back. With train speed heavily restricted on the range section from Redlynch
to Kuranda there is little need to overpower the thirteen or fourteen car
consist. 2470 class diesels are expected to begin working the train through
to Mareeba once strengthening work on the Clohesy River bridge at Koah has
been completed (some time before June this year).

Scott Jesser
Charters Towers