Re: Walsh Island Dockyard

tmid@ozemail.com.au (TM) wrote:

>Some information about the history of the Walsh Island dockyard is
>available at:
>http://newcastle.infohunt.nsw.gov.au/library/locals/textarchive/walsh/HonThesis.html
>
>Amongst the images is one showing construction of spans for the
>Katherine River Bridge.

The Katherine River Railway bridge was one of many
unique rail bridges in the Top End of the Northern
Territory, because from World War 2 until the early
eighties it also carried road traffic during the
Monsoon season.  When the Allied Works Council during
the War built the single lane concrete Low Level
bridges for the Dry season, they also "planked" the
rail bridges for the Wet.  All of these rail/road
bridges have long been superseded by high level
National Highway Standard road bridges.
Most of the old rail bridges and Low Level road
crossings remain, if you know where to look.

I photographed the Katherine River railway bridge many
years ago and there was a builders plate which simply
stated - WALSH ISLAND DOCK YARD NEWCASTLE 1925.

The Katherine bridge was to be used for the proposed
standard gauge line to Darwin when Australian National
Railways surveyed the route back in the early eighties.
I understand that the now proposed SG to Darwin will
not be using this bridge and will bypass the Town.

----Terry Burton
Alice Springs NT