Re: Interstate Platform at Seymour

markbau1@aol.comQQQQyuk (MarkBau1) wrote, and I selectively quote:

>What on earth are you talking about? dual BG, SG has "flange clearence
>problems"?
>I guess if flanges were 3 inches thick there may be problems, but they aren't!

There's 6.5 inches between BG & SG, 14.5 inches b/w NG & SG.

If I remember correctly, there is a speed restriction on all Victorian
BG trains running on dual gauge.  When I've inquired why, I've been
told that it's because of the restrictive clearance between the two
rails ("brake blocks could fall into the space b/w the tracks, get
wedged and cause a derailment" was one quasi-official reason).  Or is
it merely the inherent conservative nature of Victorian engineers?

I do recall that there is/was an even more severe speed restriction
for BG trains on the dual gauge b/w Moorabool and Nth Geelong where
there is/was an unsealed road level crossing, the concern being that
the flangeway (for want of a better term) could fill with debris and
lead to a derailment.

Regards

Yuri
--