Re: Interstate Platform at Seymour

>>What on earth are you talking about? dual BG, SG has "flange clearance
>>problems"?
>>I guess if flanges were 3 inches thick there may be problems, but they aren't!
>
>If I remember correctly, there is a speed restriction on all Victorian
>BG trains running on dual gauge.  When I've inquired why, I've been
>told that it's because of the restrictive clearance between the two
>rails ("brake blocks could fall into the space b/w the tracks, get
>wedged and cause a derailment" was one quasi-official reason).  Or is
>it merely the inherent conservative nature of Victorian engineers?

Yes and Yes. Trains on dual gauge in Victoria have, traditionally,
been restricted to 65 km/h. This has been raised to 80 km/h between
North Geelong and Gheringhap.

>I do recall that there is/was an even more severe speed restriction
>for BG trains on the dual gauge b/w Moorabool and Nth Geelong where
>there is/was an unsealed road level crossing, the concern being that
>the flangeway (for want of a better term) could fill with debris and
>lead to a derailment.

There is a 65 km/h restriction for BG trains over this level crossing.
SG speed is 80 km/h.

As an aside - I remember when the NSW used to shunt to/from Bandiana
on the Dual gauge track from Wodonga. The Vic WTT/MTP gave the BG
speed limit as 25 km/h; the NSW WTT gave the SG speed limit as 70
km/h!!! No wonder it rode so badly!!!! Of course, in those days we
never looked at their timetable and they never looked at ours. There
were similar anomalies going across the Murray River bridge.

Cheers

Krel

Just another eccentric crank.