Re: Victoria Finally Adopts Modern Safeworking

Barry Campbell wrote in message <371CFA12.23008FB6@qimr.edu.au>...
>MattyQ wrote:
>> Well, QR must like DTC because it will replace the CATOS system for all
>> lines west of Toowoomba as of next month.
>>
>RCS   = ??
>CATOS = ??
>
>Can anyone help?
>
>Barry Campbell

RCS  = Remote Controlled Signalling.
CATOS = Computer Assisted Train Order System.
DTC = Direct Traffic Control.

On 31st March 1999, CTC ceased to exist as a safeworking system in it's own
right. RCS territory now encompasses Brisbane Suburban Area (BSA) Power
Signalling, CTC and all power operated local yards (POS). These areas were
unified with one rule book. Now, there is only one set of rules, one lot of
procedures, one set of forms in any area where a train may proceed on the
authority of a clear signal alone.

Hypothetically speaking, under the old system, if a train were to travel
from Toowoomba to Gladstone, it would encounter three different safeworking
systems (CTC, BSA, CTC, POS). Now, a train can travel from Toowoomba to
Townsville and remain in the same safeworking system (RCS).

CATOS has been around for ages and is slowly being phased out in favour of
DTC. QR and Westrail both use systems called CATOS but that is where the
similarity ends.

DTC is very similar to Victoria's ASW system except codes are vocally
transmitted by radio between the driver and the controller. The end result
is the same however.

There are now only four safeworking systems used in Queensland. RCS, DTC,
Train Order (including CATOS) and Train Staff and Ticket. TS&T is only used
as a primary safeworking system west of Mareeba, Ebenezer branch, Box Flat
Bch, Pinkenba line (east of Doomben) and Yepoon branch (east of North
Rockhampton). Let me know if I have left any out.

TS&T is used regularly in the BSA during planned single line working. Pilot
working is rarely used nowadays.

Regards

Matt Smith
Brisbane, Queensland