Re: Signalling in Victoria

Notagunzel wrote:

> AFAIK once upon a time repeaters came in 2 flavours, ie when then they
> repeated a 2 pos distant, and when they repeated a 3 pos signal.

Certainly the case. Ballan, Longwarry, Broadford, to name but three, had
repeaters that were regarded as two pos signals..

> Then sometime during the '80's they appeared at a few trailable loops
> repeating the position of the points, i.e. G/Y = points set & locked, Y/Y =
> points open.

 I reckon that these should be called point indicators. They do not, like
proper signals, regulate the passage of trains. They merely give the driver a
visual indication about the state of the points.

> The last place where a repeater was used to repeat a 2 pos distant was on
> the down into Broadford, and that was hashed by abolishing the distant and
> converting the repeater into the distant.

This was made possible by the abolishing of the rule, a little while ago, about
distant signals having to be arms. After the rule was amended (or maybe to
facilitate it) South Geelong got up and down light distant signals.

> Recently the CRT siding appeared, and repeters were used to repeat the
> position of the switchlock.  Soon after the big blue book was amended, all
> references to repeater signals for a 2 pos distant was deleted, and a
> section for repeaters before points was added.

Merely point indicators what ever you call them otherwise.

> So IMO repeaters were just like dwarfs, there existed the 2 pos version as
> well as the 3 pos version.
>
> B.

Right on BC.

DEL