Re: Front page anti-rail article in Moreland Observer (longish)

In article <7f25dh$ok3$1@toto.tig.com.au>,
  "Michael" <mk@netstra.com.au> wrote:
> It may cost a lot of money, but why not run it along the freeway, or even
> bypass part of the freeway and run behind essendon airport?

I think the spur from north of Broadmeadows is the best option.  The
alignment is almost entirely vacant land under the airport flight path, thus
little opposition from the locals to the resumption of land or the noise.
There are only 3 roads to cross all the way to the airport!  A little bit of
planning would resolve the problems for the sporting ovals.  There could be a
new station to serve the new housing at Westmeadows, as well as commuters to
serveral significant employers.  Combined with electrification to Craigieburn
(IMHO the most obvious development in the entire ex-Met), service levels on
the line could be redeemed for frequency and express running.  Also maybe a
few through-running trains which continue on to other suburban lines for
airport passengers (resricted to Bayside lines now I suppose).

But hang on - heavy rail to the airport has been ruled out by the Citylink
agreement, so it is just not going to happen, and the Moreland Observer was
inventing a story.  Refer to others' comments about journalism.

LB.