Re: VGR TRACK SPEED

>> I hope you get the assistance you are looking for, some friends of mine
>> visited your railway and quite enjoyed it, I got shown the photos at
least
>> twice if that is any indication! Plus I wouldn't mind a look myself.
Whilst
>> I agree with the sentiments that not enough people want to do the hard
>> yards, bagging people for expressing their opinion is no way to garner
>> support for your cause.
>
>And we're not allowed to respond or critise as well when we think it's a
bit
>unfair?

If you look at what I said, it didn't say you CAN'T criticise, after all we
all can and do, especially here! But my point was that it probably isn't
preferable to criticise if you want to encourage those same people to get
behind you and what you are doing. Maybe we need to agree to disagree on
this one. But I know if I visited and made a few comments and was bagged in
return, I would feel less warm and fuzzy about visiting again let alone
getting involved. The best example I can think of was when my girlfriend
(now fiance) went on a WCR tour to see the penguins. Whilst overall it was a
good trip, there were a few things which would have made a good trip into an
excellent and well worth returning and recommending type trip. I posted this
to the newsgroup and Craig Haber's response was not to jump on the band
wagon and say 'Well there is this reason and this reason besides you're only
on a cheap day trip so what do you expect' but was very measured and
reasonable and was along the lines of we shall look into it and thanks for
the feedback. I still have the response. And his response made me more
likely to persuade Elise to come with me on a WCR trip again. And she was
quite impressed too (which IS saying something!...8^)  ) Just my 2c

>Point taken on the issue of "playing" trains! But we all enjoy playing
trains
>including me - its why we are there! The info on driving the steam loco was
>purely that - no sarcasm intended.

Fair enough!

>Its more a problem of having a few core people to regularly do the task and
>we have a problem in the track area for these people. Our solution (?) is
>head to paid staff, but that needs money. Volunteers are getting harder to
>find - just ask your local Lions/Rotary. We certainly do insist on a period
>of work in a non-operational role first for anyone wishing to join the
train
>crew.

Have you tried getting local school kids involved? Just a thought, but the
local Rotaract has been active with some of our local secondary colleges and
I know some kids who were involved in an initial project and then joined
their 'Young Rotaracts' association whatever it is called because they saw
it as worthwhile. I'm not expecting to see rows of school girls lifting
sleepers but I am sure they can be involved in some way both towards
maintenance and other areas to free people up for maintenance. Kids can be
interested if given the right motivation / angle. Just a thought.