Re: VGR TRACK SPEED

Before we continue, might I state my appreciation for all those who restore
railway heritage in this state (and all the inferior states too...) and work
hard to that end.

However...

tonyl646@my-dejanews.com wrote in message
<7f1m4h$pta$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>In article <37128e00.8785638@news.cia.com.au>
>
>> >Driver experience also about to be launched - drive a VR steam loco with
GY's
>> >etc on a VR branch line in a 50/60's atmosphere.
>>
>> Great, but I hope that one gets a chance to OPEN the throttle.   When
>> I was ther in January, the maximum speed allowed appeared to be about
>> 10 km/h!
>>
>> Hunslet.
>>

>Ah its easy to sh..can isn't it!
>
>Some facts :
>Did you know that a steam loco's speed doesn't just depend on the position
of
>the regulator? You can drive on the VGR with the regulator fully open up
the
>hills no problem.

Good start, use sarcasm wherever possible (8^)  )

>Speed limit is 20kmph and we are endevouring to increase to 32kmph (20mph)
>this year.

Certainly laudable so far.

>The line is 60lb 'D' rail laid directly on sleepers, no base plates.
>
>The track has a joint every 7 metres, held together by 4 bolts all of which
>require tightening and continuous attention.
>
>We find it difficult to get people to volunteer to work on the track but
there
>is no shortage of those wanting to "play". We have to maintain the track
>ourselves, no one else does it for us and we inherited the track in a
derelect
>condition thats why VR closed the line!

Here we go, someone from the VGR PR department doing a bit of s...canning
himself! That's a really good way to encourage volunteers, criticise them
when they do something involved with the railway, even if it is just a
visit. That way, they'll REALLY want to come back and support you.

As for the driver training courses, you should really have railfans flocking
to your door knowing that the people on your railway will see them as just
'playing', not really doing anything worthwhile.

>With the above we want the track to last and not have to be doing major
>repairs every week - hence the reduced speed.
>
>Looking forward to your assistance!

I hope you get the assistance you are looking for, some friends of mine
visited your railway and quite enjoyed it, I got shown the photos at least
twice if that is any indication! Plus I wouldn't mind a look myself. Whilst
I agree with the sentiments that not enough people want to do the hard
yards, bagging people for expressing their opinion is no way to garner
support for your cause.

If you have trouble getting people off the locos and onto the permanent way,
perhaps you should adopt a similar approach to the one DVR used to (and
probably still) have - when you join you have to do some time looking after
the track first (used to be 6 months). THEN you can 'play' trains! Or
perhaps you can take a similar approach to our community radio station - you
must spend at least the same amount of time off air as you do on air working
for the station. Perhaps for you it could translate into time spent
'playing' = time spent maintaining track.

I am sure you have thought of all these before, good luck but perhaps try to
be a little less critical in bagging potential volunteers. (Of course,
putting the volunteer page on your site might help too!)