VGR TRACK SPEED

In article <37128e00.8785638@news.cia.com.au>

> >Driver experience also about to be launched - drive a VR steam loco with GY's
> >etc on a VR branch line in a 50/60's atmosphere.
>
> Great, but I hope that one gets a chance to OPEN the throttle.   When
> I was ther in January, the maximum speed allowed appeared to be about
> 10 km/h!
>
> Hunslet.

Ah its easy to sh..can isn't it!

Some facts :
Did you know that a steam loco's speed doesn't just depend on the position of
the regulator? You can drive on the VGR with the regulator fully open up the
hills no problem.

Speed limit is 20kmph and we are endevouring to increase to 32kmph (20mph)
this year.

The line is 60lb 'D' rail laid directly on sleepers, no base plates.

The track has a joint every 7 metres, held together by 4 bolts all of which
require tightening and continuous attention.

We find it difficult to get people to volunteer to work on the track but there
is no shortage of those wanting to "play". We have to maintain the track
ourselves, no one else does it for us and we inherited the track in a derelect
condition thats why VR closed the line!

With the above we want the track to last and not have to be doing major
repairs every week - hence the reduced speed.

Looking forward to your assistance!