Re: Interstate Platform at Geelong?

On 9 Apr 99 12:45:14 GMT, "Lachlan Smith" <lsmith@senet.com.au> wrote:

>In a recent edition of the Advertiser newspaper there was a letter to the
>editor which was mainly aimed at promoting the video entertainment on the
>Overland, but which also stated that the Victorian Government is
>constructing an interstate platform at Geelong, to be completed by May. If
>this is true then I'm sure it will greatly boost patronage on the Overland
>(and the Ghan), no?

This was reported in the 'Geelong Advertiser', on Sat. 27/3/99:

Overland to stop at North Shore platform

THE Overland from Melbourne to Adelaide will soon stop at the North
Shore railway station, with a new platform and shelter to be ready by
May.

Construction of an interstate passenger platform at North Shore was
promised by the State Government in the lead-up to the 1996 election.

At present, Geelong passengers using the Overland have to board at
Spencer Street Station, adding up to three hours in travelling time
between Geelong and Adelaide.

In Adelaide, The Overland links with The Indian Pacific to Perth and
The Ghan to Alice Springs.

When the new station is open Great Southern Railway, which operates
all three train services, will provide a ticket deal between Geelong
and Perth at a one-way saving of up to $398 a couple.

At present about 60 bookings are week are made from people in the
Geelong region to travel on The Overlander [sic].

Great Southern chief executive Stephen Bradford said he expected
bookings would increase to 100 a week once the North Shore Station was
promoted.

The Overland has just been refurbished at a cost of $1 million, and
the refurbished train will operate regularly from May 1.

The new $190,000 55m platform and shelter will have wheelchair access
ramps, lighting and safety fence.

Member for Geelong Ann Henderson, who yesterday unveiled plans for the
new platform, said it would provide Geelong with better access to
interstate passenger rail services, and save considerable time and
inconvenience.

Member for Geelong Province Ian Cover said The Overland provided
Geelong with a great opportunity to attract more tourists.

Photo:
Local MPs Alister Paterson, Ann Henderson, Garry Spry and Ian Cover
with Great Southern Railway CEO Stephen Bradford at North Shore
Station.

[insert typical photo of group of politicians with cheesy grins]