Re: Countrylink website.

d.ready wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> On Easter Sunday we travelled to Delft from Eindhoven in The Netherlands. We
> knew that we had to change trains at Rotterdam. Just before Rotterdam a
> guard came to check our tickets. Without prompting, after we gave him an
> enthuistic "Good Morning", he got out his little organizer and timetable out
> and offered the information that we had to change trains at the next stop
> and even gave us the platform number and time of departure IN PERFECT
> ENGLISH. Now that's what I call service and I'd like so see THAT on NSW
> railways :) But we still miss home with all its faults but boy do we as a
> country have a lot of growing up to do compared with Europe.

I think you would get that level of service on Qantas or Ansett. It is a
mistake comparing European railways with Australian railways. In Europe
you are dealing with a system that performs a genuine function and so
people are interested in ensuring it works. In Australia (apart from
trains run largely as tourist experiences such as the Ghan and the I-P)
trains are only run because they are filled with subsidised passengers.
Take away the pensioners etc and see what trains would be worth running.

Barry Campbell