Re: Fatality at Sydenham Station (Vic)

This is just typical of the media and public attitude towards the railways.
Last year, two elderly women totally ignored the flashing lights at Wacol
and proceeded to drive across the line. A light engine collided with the
car, killing the driver. The media swooped on the incident and blindly
accused QR for the incident.

Even though the level crossing had been upgraded with pedestrian mazes and
sonnalerts just months before, QR was forced to waste man-hours and
equipment for a whole week testing the system and, shock, horror, it worked
perfectly. This did not make an ounce of difference to the media or the
public.

Despite QR's best efforts to make every pedestrian and level crossing safe
as possible, people still walk/drive through them and QR cops the blame if
something goes wrong. Why should any railway company be held responsible for
the wellbeing of a person who ignores or misuses safety equipment put there
to protect them?

Regards

Matt Smith
Brisbane, Queensland