Re: Some VR, V/Line questions

John Cleverdon wrote:

> MarkBau1 wrote:
>
> > David,
> >
> > Thank you very much for the information you posted, much appreciated!
> >
> Don't forget also that the ARHS has commissioned the Quail Map Company in the UK to
> produce at atlas of Australian railway lines.

The atlas you speak of is the one that we are contributing our information to. However,
it will not be Australian any longer, the project got too big. A Victorian/Tasmanian
book is one of the projected books. It is being done in England by Quail because of the
existing atlas books of various regions of UK, and they look pretty good. One thing
however is that they will not contain the information about stations and sidings that I
have jointly compiled with a couple of others here in Vic, I can't speak for other
states. It is being co-ordinated by ARHS (ACT). That information will result in a
gazeteer at some stage but a lot more work ois required before publishing is possible.

> I'm not sure of the publishing date; AFAIK it may be later this year

Was to have been end of this year but now I'm not sure.

> (why couldn't they have got an *Australian* cartographic company to do this?).

Dunno.

> Associated with this, lists of opening/closing dates for railway lines (by state),
> as well as general news on the project, have been provided in "Bulletin",
> periodically since late 1995. IIRC, the complete list will then be published by the
> NSW division of the ARHS.

Not that I know of. With the large effort at compiling the stations list, something
more than a freeby publishinf effort will be required. A list of line openings maybe.

David.

p.s. Mark I have still not forgotten your request.