Re: Coal train in Queensland in 1970

I Live a Sarina and i believe what you were seeing would have been some of the first coal trains carting from Goonyella Coal mine to the port of Hay Point. I can not be sure of the train configuration but the current configuration for those sate trains is 2 Elec Locos 40 wagons 2Elec Locos One ELRC(Electric Remote Control Car) and 70 more wagons. there has been several different configurations over the years. The last configuration with diesel power was 3 locos on the lead and 3 in the middle.

hope this helps.

glt0145@ozemail.com.au
Bren wrote in message <7e9euj$rre$1@newsreader2.core.theplanet.net">7e9euj$rre$1@newsreader2.core.theplanet.net>...
Evening all

I trust someone on the ng has a good memory as I am trying to find out about a coal train that ran on a then newly laid track from a nearby coal-mine.  Let me explain.

I was working temporarily for the Queensland Road Authority (or something like that) in mid 1970 near Mackay and Serina taking down the previous camp, leap-frogging the road crew and rebuilding further up the road.

Every morning a coal train would pass by with two loccos at the front, two at the rear and I believe two more sets in the middle.   We were told that each truck carried 40 tons and there were something like 50 trucks maybe more but again I am unsure.

Can anyone confirm any of this for me and add any further information.   If you can I would be much obliged to you.

Bren

God Bless the Arsenal and All Who Sail With Her