Re: VR line closing dates needed.

MarkBau1 wrote:

> Gavin,
>
> Many thanks for all the dates you looked up and posted.
>
> You wouldn't happen to have a closure date for Kerang to Koondrook would you? I
> meant to put it in my first question.
>
> If you have a .pdf reader I can send you or anyone a copy of the "VR all time
> map" which is still a work in progress at the moment.
>
> Mark.
>
> Visit my train pic website at:
> http://home.earthlink.net/~markbau/

Mark.

Sorry, but I haven't got the closing date for that line. What I can tell you though
is that it was taken over by the Victorian Railways Commissioners from the Kerang
Shire on Fri 1 Feb, 1952 (Secty's 51/6582). The last passenger service ran on Fri
17 Dec 1976. My 1979 W.T.T show the line as still open, but the only service
running is an Education Department bus and a road  parcels service. I didn't get to
many W.T.T's after that as I spent some time down on the sparks. The next lot of
W.T.T that I have were the new folder type and they didn't list closing dates. I
have a funny feeling that this line was one of those that took for ever to be
closed as local political pressure was always being brought to bare to reinstate
train running.

P.S. Mark, you were right about the dwaf signals. It has been a long time since I
had to remember all that stuff. When they replaced B Box at Ararat when the CTC was
commissioned, they replaced all the disc signals with 3 dwaf signals. You would get
a yellow indication to go up the dead end while shunting and either a green or a
yellow to head out onto the main line.

For some reason, I also have a nagging feeling that there was a clear low speed
installed and working on the Victorian system somewhere, I just cant put my finger
on it at the moment though. I think that it might have been up at Horsham pre CTC
days. I do remember something about a clear low speed out of a loop though.

Yes please, I would like a copy of your work.

Thanks.

Gavin Potter.

e-mail:
gavpot@ozemail.com.au
gavin.potter@agric.nsw.gov.au

 http://www.ozemail.com.au/~gavpot
"Planning without action is futile. Action without planning
is fatal."  -Alan Speigel.