Re: How many NR locos are now written of?

In article <01be0386$07263cc0$417a22cb@raycross> "Ray Cross" <rayrae@ngc.com.au> writes:
>From: "Ray Cross" <rayrae@ngc.com.au>
>Subject: Re: How many NR locos are now written of?
>Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 21:50:35 GMT

>"Rightful Owners'???????????????????????????????

>Baldy <baldi@alphalink.com.au> wrote in article
><714f4h$gcp$1@news.alphalink.com.au>...
>> G522 is owned by NRC, but the PTC are refusing to hand it and the other G
>> class locos over to their rightful owners
>>
>> Reece Isaac wrote in message <70nqsd$r9$1@news.alphalink.com.au>...
>> >While operating at the Dynon fuel point a couple of weeks ago I had the
>> duty
>> >of directing a NRC crew to our G522.  I asked why the NRC would want our
>> >class when they already had 120 brand new locos.  He replied that it was
>> >more like 105 and that they are now known as widow makers.  With that I
>let
>> >him go but I was musing about this with another driver and we were
>> wondering
>> >if someone has produced a roster of nolonger servicable NR's.  So I pose
>> the
>> >question, has anyone done this?

Yes  , NRC are the rightful owners of a number of Vline Gs and
SRA 81s as well as all the identified AN locos. (Originally the ANs and ELs
were excluded).
I dont know the exact numbers , But its about 20 81s and 7-10
Gs.(Anyone know precisely.)
Part of the National Rail Corporation Agreement Act , the
legislation which created NRC , required that the 3 shareholders namely the
NSW, VIC and Federal Govts transfer to NR, locos and rolling stock identified
as being used at the time for the National Rail Freight Task.
WA and Qld didnt have to as they are not shareholders in NRC.
Whether this was the right thing to do at the time , is debateable, but its
now done and unless the current Feds amend the legislation to give the locos
back, NR are entitled to them , even if they dont really need them.

cheers
MD