Re: RTM Election

In article <715lh5$2m$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
 <catchpoints@my-dejanews.com> wrote:
>D'oh.
>
>My spy system is not what it used to be.
>Apparently, the 5 unfortunates who got elected are:
>Graeme Bell, Ted Mullett, Brian Woolley, Barry McMahon & Mark Jackson.
>
>I guess the voters got what they wanted, as opposed to the Museum getting what
>it needs.

 Well I tried to vote - infortunatly I left it a little late and forgot to
sign the envelope and it got returned - with insuffcient time for me to
re-submit it.

 Last year I forgot all together. I did get a valid vote in the year before :-)

 The trouble with an organisation like the RTM is what the members want and
what the museum needs are sometimes to very different things - and with
various lobby groups pushing their own barrows often the end result is the
members dont get what they want AND the museum doesnt get the direction it
needs....

 I think the classic problem is the failed steam engines and the diesels.
The diesel 'silver service' train is making money, something that is
badly needed. But Id guess most people who could be bothered to even be
a member want to see steamers running. The members want to see steamers
hissing and roaring. The museum needs the cash flow from the smelly diesels.
You cant win. Money is needed to keep the steamers steaming.

 ps - any one who has tried to use the disgusting facilities at Thirmere
wouldnt say the new toilet block is a waste of money. That money should have
been spent years ago.