Re: "Day of the Roses"

I have now skimmed the coroner's report: vital reading for all, and not too
long.

Thurs.22.10 Age Green guide commented:
* Puzzling why nurse thing and victim Bryan got star billing.  The pivotal
roles were the investigator (3rd in the credits list) and the coroner
(5th).
* The production had a sense of integrity, of good research, and of
historical authority.
* People look for faults in shows like this; the reviewer could not find
one.

The coroner's report has been very misrepresented by the show.  It was a
wide-ranging and considered document, despite being produced by May.
Overseas expertise was sought.  The British witness commented that the
speed limit on the curved points (the site of the derailment) was not too
high for track in good condition.  The tv show did not even mention that
the derailment occurred on curved points.

I can now agree with the tv reviewer's first point, and disagree with the
other two.  I fear that, far from revealing the previously-hidden truth,
the show has created a false history regarding the cause.  Its strength was
in the social and emotional impact.

My vote for star billing, in both real life and in the series, is for the
coroner.

--
Regards
Roderick Smith