Re: 3801 Ltd's PFZ2219 on IP

David \"The Doctor\" Proctor (daproc.remove.spambait@bigfoot.com) wrote:

> Dave Mayo wrote in message <7190vi$b64$1@reader1.reader.news.ozemail.net>...
> >Country Link crews?

> Yes - WL34, the Broken Hill to Sydney passenger, is crewed by Countrylink
> (it is a Countrylink service, after all).

That doesn't mean much. The P is a GSR service, but has an NR crew. I
would have thought the Broken Hill service would have a Countrylink on
train crew, but a FreightCorp loco crew.
> replace the PHA that had failed on WL33 the previous day.

> Just on this topic, I noticed recently there is a lot of empty room under
> the carriages used on these services - would it not be better to place a
> small generator under each carriage, but using only one at a time, with the
> one that is running supplying the whole train?

You might all gen sets running on extreme hot and cold days. In mild
conditions, one gen set should be able to power the whole train. V/Line
(and now WCR) have done this for years.

The V/Line N sets were designed so that the buffet car gen set can power
the whole train in mild weather, but on extreme days you need all three.
Most sets have since been converted to head end power.

Cheers
David