Re: trial CityRail signage and info systems

On Thu, 22 Oct 1998 02:26:41 GMT, jdennis@acslink.net.au wrote:

>And in a corresponding query, why in Sydney do they make announcements such
>as the one I heard at North Sydney, in a Hornsby via Strathfield train.  This
>announcement went through "Milsons Point, Wynyard, Town Hall, Central,
>Redfern, then Burwood, Strathfield", then the next half a dozen station to
>somewhere north of Strathfield, and finished with "and all stations to
>Hornsby".  Why not say "all stations to Hornsby" after Strathfield and skip
>the half-dozen names mentioned? --

Because many passengers don't know all the stations on a line so
sometimes the most common destinations are stated.

The real stupid one is at Sutherland for Cronulla trains, where the
DVA says:  First stop Kirrawee, then all stations to Woolooware, then
Cronulla"  where Cronulla is the station immediately following
Woolooware.

Albert Alcoceba
  <><
alberta@zip.com.au