Re: Vic Tangaras

On Thu, 05 Nov 1998 14:07:47 GMT, pcc@ocean.com.au (Les Brown) wrote:

>"David & Jan Winter" <winterd@nospam-icenet.com.au> wrote in aus.rail:
>
>>I also have never been privy to the outcome of the 4DD project - save that
>>no new stock has been ordered, yet (only some Bluebirds, I hear - maybe
>>Melbourne is to get some U-boats to go with them, similar vintage, stainless
>>steel finish, etc?). What is the official conclusion. Yours is clear from
>>the colour of said elephant!
>>
>Unable to measure said elephant and its northern relatives for
>comparison. Suggest possible vetrinary assistance.
>
>Les Brown

First off the correct name for the thing is "4D", "Block of Flats",
"S**t Box" but never "Tangara" or "Vic Tangara"!

Specs are

Maximum design speed 130Kph
Maximum acceleration 0.75m/sec/sec (Level track)
Maximum service deceleration 0.9m/sec/sec
Emergency braking 1.0m/sec/sec (On dry level track)

Length coupled 4 cars 77,840mm
Width overall 2,890mm
Hight 4,270mm

Weight:

CTC
Tare 44.65tonne
Gross 58tonne

MC
Tare 52.6tonne
Gross 68tonne

4 Cars
Tare 194.5tonne
Gross 252tonne

Passenger capacity:

Seated
CTC 85
MC 99

Standing
CTC 149
MC 165

Total 4 Cars 996

Known Differences:
Pantographs and hand brakes are not controlled by TMS system.

Step one of E.P. Brake system removed (Compatibility issue with
Comeng).

Air brake release rates alted to Comeng specs.

Drivers Cup holder added.

Acceleration rate de tuned to about 0.5m/sec/sec (Now about
0.3m/sec/sec) Is very sick train now.

No 415V 3 phase connection through coupler (Comeng again).

Drivers console differed from original design, Now butchered for
Driver only operation.

All Guards door stations through out the train have been disabled.
(Not required for driver only operation).

Inboard disk brakes on CTC cars.

No flip over seating in salon.

No gradual reduction in traction power when shutting off when train
speed is above 40Kph. Driver must return the throttle to the off
position before any reduction in tractive effort will take place.

There are probable many more but I think I got the main ones.

Christine.