Re: Federation Square - on springs?

Peter Shute <pshute@melbpc.org.au> wrote in article
<365139ea.1325057@news.melbpc.org.au>...
> Now that they are starting to put the deck on Federation Square, I've
> noticed that some of it appears to be sprung.  i.e it sits on springs
> on top of the support walls. (You can see it as you leave Flinders St
> from platform 3, heading east).
>
> Any ideas why?
> Peter Shute, Melbourne, Australia

Having just been to an engineering convention in Melbourne which toured the
construction site last weekend I can offer an explanation for this:

Yes, a part of Federation Square IS being put on springs, and the official
reason is that there is a media studio being built on that paticular part
of the site. The springs 'should' help isolate the floor of the studio from
vibrations from the trains underneath.

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Chris F.