Re: Federation Square - on springs?

: Now that they are starting to put the deck on Federation Square, I've
: noticed that some of it appears to be sprung.  i.e it sits on springs
: on top of the support walls. (You can see it as you leave Flinders St
: from platform 3, heading east).

: Any ideas why?

In Engineering almost all bridges and buildings are build with hinges
to allow for movement.  In the centre on the springs is a semi flexiable
steel rod, the springs are just another form of hinge to allow movement
nothing is ridged when it comes to construction (other wise it would
break)

I am shaw that there are many other reasons for springs, like to give
all the people up on Federation Square sea sickness.

--
Chris Gordon
http://www.ecr.mu.oz.au/~cmgord