Re: East West Highway, through the Centre.

< Tell > wrote in message <3652f449.434787@news.ozemail.com.au>...

>Many years ago, the Stuart Highway from Alice to Port
>Augusta was a corrugated billy goat track.

In 1985 we piled into our new Jackaroo and drove to Ayers Rock from Perth
via the Gunbarrel Hwy (Wiluna-Warburton). On the way back we used this goat
track, and saw a wrecked truck somewhere north of Coober Pedy. The driver
had been killed when the trailer shook loose or something.

The Stuart was worse than most parts of the Gunbarrel then. But in the
Jackaroo we still made good time by going just fast enough to skip over the
corrugations. We cut across to the Eyre, and were not surprised by the SA
section being in much better nick than the WA section as, being a road *out*
of SA, it was built with Commonwealth money while we in WA had to pay for
our bit ourselves.

Neil