Re: R711's First Mainline Test Run

On 18 Nov 1998 07:12:54 GMT, "Roderick Smith" <rodsmith@werple.net.au>
wrote, and I selectively quote:

>I have found no triumphant postings of a move on Tuesday or one on
>Wednesday.  Where is R711 as at 18.11 Wed.18.11?

I was going to refrain from the word "triumphant" but I guess that's
how the crew at WCR must be feeling tonight...... having a Swan Lager
(remember the ad...."they'd said you'd never make it").

R711 leading T369, two WCR liveried cars (one BK711<g!>) and an
Overland car left Ballarat at 0915 today, gingerly making its way up
Warrenheip Bank without incident and off towards Meredith.

I had been told it was coming down the straight and had worked up from
Sunshine, arriving at an empty (for R711 anyway) Ballarat East Shops
at 1000h.  After being told where to go, I caught up with the train
just north of Meredith where the crew were performing a check on the
loco.  According to the conversation on the scanner, the T was not
responding to power up commands.  I'd barely time to set up at the
Meredith down home when R711 came accelerating down the main, looking
and sounding magnificent.  The Webb whistle sounds even better when
the loco is on the move.  I paced it at about 75 km/h before heading
off and getting a shot across Moorabool viaduct.  They passed through
Lara about 1230 doing an estimated 75 km/h again.

They stopped b/w Werribee and Hoppers Crossing for another check, then
stormed up the line at 95 km/h to Newport for weighing.  From 2nd hand
reports, today went like a dream, the loco firing brilliantly well and
operating perfectly.

I'd imagine there'd be some test runs tomorrow, including at least one
run at 115km/h...... Craig, times please.... I need to block out
appointments!

Regards

Yuri
--