R711's First Mainline Test Run

R711, resplendent in blue, ventured out onto the mainline today for
the first of a series of tests to iron out bugs, and find any problems
before the weekend run.

And problems they found.

In the company of T369 (WCR liveried 3rd series T), the train set out
from Ballarat at about 1.50pm at 30 km/h, R711 tender first leading
T369. By all accounts the diesel "MU facility" worked well.

As the loco passed the Caledonian bridge, the radius rods on the left
side started to jump and bend due to a seized valve.  The loco was
stopped immediately.  The rods to the valves on the left side were
removed, inspection ports opened for steam relief, and then T369
slowly hauled R711 back to Ballarat East Shops.

Work was due to start later today on repairs, so it's unlikely that
there will be a test run to Melbourne tomorrow.

It's a shame.... the loco looks and sounds absolutely magnificent, the
Lempor-type exhausts don't seem to have muffled the bark.

Look for photos of the newly painted loco after 2330h on my home page
(Main page -> Latest...there'll be a link there).

BTW, as of last night there have been over 700 visits to the site
since I posted the photos of R711 a couple of weeks ago, so there
seems to be a lot of interest.

Regards

Yuri
--