Kioloa Tramway

I have just returned from 4 days at the ANU research station (fossil
hunting) at Kioloa, between Batemans Bay and Ulladulla.

Kioloa is still a working farm as well as for research, and was also used
for logging in the years 1881-1893, 1903-1926 and 1940-1953.

While I was there, I was able to inspect the ramains of the 3' gauge
timber tramway which ran from Kioloa to the sawmill at Bawley Point. The
tramway was dismantled in 1926 after the mill burnt down. I saw some
photos in the archives of up to 8 horses hauling up to 3 logs on bogies.
The track appeared to be wooden rails.

There isn't much left of the tramway. I could only just make out the
reservation, and a few splinters of wood in the ground whic I assume used
to be sleepers. Kioloa does have one axle from one of the bogies, which
was attached to a plough in the 1940s.

Kioloa is not open to the public, but the foundations of the of the
sawmill and wharf, and some of the trackbed can be seen at Bawley Point.

Cheers
David