Re: Darwin railway

Mr Lindstrom

Your on BigPond so you're not from overseas.

It seems odd to me that you can have an interest in the subject of rail and
not know about the NAR (North Australian Railway). It's very much part of
history, and there must be lots of material at your local ARHS for your
particular state.

It was part of the Commonwealth Railways, narrow (3'6") gauge, lightly laid,
and ran to Larrimah. Tracks were installed to Birdum but traffic terminated
at Larrimah for military reasons. When we drove through in '96, there was a
light rail motor at Larrimah to run trips to Birdum. Some infrastructure was
still visible at Katherine in '96 but they've had a BIG flood there since.

Enjoy your history research.

DW