Re: Metro Light Rail (Sydney) Lilyfield extension

In article <36501615.0@news.highway1.com.au>,
  "David & Jan Winter" <winterd@nospam-icenet.com.au> wrote:
> This thread was getting a bit confusing.
>
> Do I understand correctly that the metro goods line (section through Glebe
> Tunnel) was constructed under Act of Parliament? If so, has an Act been
> passed to close it? If not, there is a legal obligation to sustain railway
> use of the reservation, even if the track is unusable without significant
> repairs. So, before the easement can be passed to another party, the owner
> (Gov't) is under various obligations to make good the easement - which would
> probably end up meaning (if tested in courts) the civil engineering
> infrastructure - track being an item subject to wear and tear. So, putting
> bridges, cuttings, embankments and tunnels in good order would be a
> lessor/vendor responsibility unless relieved by Act or contract ratified by
> Act.

Although you make an interesting point, it is fairly academic as in general
the civil infrastructure of the line is in good order, despite the actual
perway being in a sorry state. As far as I know, there has been no
legislation to close the line, and nor should there be as SLR will not only
sustain but improve railway use of the line!

Rob

Sydney (Australia)