Re: Metro Light Rail (Sydney) Lilyfield extension

In article <364AA84F.A0E@one.net.au>,
  David Penna <djpenna@one.net.au> wrote:
> >As part of CGEA's plans to integrate the light rail and monorail, both
> >will be rebranded Metro Light Rail and Metro Monorail respectively.
>
> Did I see you use the words integrate?  I though it was against the rules
> to use "integrate" in connection with different types of public
> transport.
>
> Whilst I am sure the return of trams to Sydney is great, how many
> different tickets is one going to have to purchase to travel?
> Say for example if I wanted to complete the following journey
>
> 1. Lilyfield to Central (light rail)
> 2. Central to C. Quay (rail)
> 3. C Quay to Watsons Bay (ferry)
> 4. Watsons Bay back to Lilyfield
>
> How much would it cost, assuming I didn't want a weekly travelpass?
>
> It's a shame you couldn't just buy a daily ticket to cover the lot.   Or
> is someone going to shock me and say there are plans......

I don't know exactly how much it would cost, but to make the same journey
today (starting from Wentworth Park instead of Lilyfield) would cost a bit
over ten dollars. CGEA may well have plans to integrate ticketing between
light rail and the monorail, and there is already limited integrated
ticketing from manned CityRail stations to SLR (Tramlink single, return or
weekly) which is similar to the BusPlus ticketing between CityRail and
western Sydney's private buses.

There are plans by the Public Transport Authority to introduce an integrated
ticketing system for all of Sydney's public transport sometime after the
Olympics, which I believe is in the design stage at the moment. Whilst it is
clear these proposals will cover all operators, I haven't yet seen any detail
and fear that it may just be some type of stored value card system that simply
replaces cash, rather than a truly integrated system that doesn't penalise the
user for changing modes or operators.

Hopefully the Government's soon to be released Integrated Transport Strategy
will provide more detail, but I'm not holding my breath. I doubt we'll see
truly integrated public transport in Sydney for many years to come.

Rob

Sydney (Australia)