Re: Eastern Suburbs Railway

David Bromage wrote:

> What is the status of the plan to extend Bondi Junction to Bondi Beach?
> I'd be interested to know who is still opposing it.
>
> Cheers
> David

A deathly silence, it appears the government has realised it has stirred
up a hornets nest.

Given that it would be a single line extension from Bondi Junction with
no stop before Bondi Beach and no over run or storage siding at Bondi
Beach the proposed extension would increase delays and remove
flexibility (no trains could be held at Bondi Junction) so people who
understand practical railway operations would oppose the current
proposal.  (A new Richmond Line disaster).

The proposed station is in Bondi Park, so anyone opposed to the filching
of extremely limited expanses of public parkland would oppose it.

As the company would want a premium of $2.50 to use the station from
each passenger for each trip people currently travelling from the Beach
to Bondi Junction by bus and then by train to the city would have to pay
an extra $25.00 per week on their weekly ticket (currently worth $26 per
week) so they just might be opposing the proposal.

The majority of public transport users between the Beach and Bondi
Junction wuold be too far from the station to use it so they would stand
to gain no benefit as Bondi Road would continue to be heavily congested.

etc. etc.

Chris