Re: Aus Railways loco brake systems

In article <363d7b7f.0@tpg.com.au>,
  "David Rowe" <drowe@tpgi.com.au> wrote:
> Hi there
> I'm trying to find some info on the brakeing systems used by Aus Railway
> loco's,but I haven't had much luck.Anyone out there know much about them?
> Thanx in advance.
> David Rowe

Where do we start. I can tell you the following about modern day locos.

The most popular sytem in use over the last 25 years has been the 26L system.
These are found on the following locos: (I will refer to N.S.W as I am a
driver with Cityrail, and had experience with Freightcorp for 2 years) N.S.W

422s, 442s, 47s, 80s, 81s, 85s and 86s.

The B7 brake valve was fitted to the folowing locos:  44s, 45s, 46s, 48s, and
the 49 class locos.

The latest brake valve used by Freightcorp is the 30ACDW. and it is mounted
flat in front of the driver and is commonly referred to as the desktop control
setup. It is found in the 82s and 90s respectively.  This system is very
different in the fact it is electronically controlled to a certain point with
all the brake valves and relays located on a special rack locoated inside the
compressor compartment.

I am not sure on the NRs and would welcome some National Rail drivers to
comment on their locos.

Anyone else from different states also like to add their comments.
I hope this helps

Stuart Ellis